Friday, January 29, 2010

Toadstools and butterflies

So I'm at work right now, and I have recently discovered that the cure for my recent boredom with the daily routine is a healthy dose of Keats. In particular, his Ode to Psyche and the subsequent reading of Psyche and Eros' myth has really lifted my spirits.

Although I've been in a very nice and stable relationship with my current guy for over a year now, these past couple days I've been in an incredible funk. School isn't going as smoothly as I'd like (I have to take two physics courses and a "career planning course" before they let me graduate--meaning I'm taking an introductory physics course this summer. Have I mentioned that I don't like physics?), I have a court date coming up soon, I have to go buy ink to print out everything I need for said court date, and I really don't like being poor anymore. Granted, I can afford rent and food... but that's it. I'm really itching to get a job and do something useful with my time rather than prepare for being useful...

But as I look over my mushroom pictures and try to identify these varied specimens to species, I wandered over to Wikipedia to see what I could see. And lo, there upon the page stood a link to the Odes written by Keates, whereupon I did click that link of cerulean shade and wast transported into a faery-realm, little brooks hidden in the forest shade burbling quietly by.

Wow. it's been far too long since I've been exposed to good poetry. ^^

So please please please read up on Keats' Odes, and read the story of Psyche and Eros so we can discuss it! It's so romantic and sweet and amazing that a story such as this hasn't made it to the big screen--I'd *love* a movie or animated feature of it. I wonder what Hayao Miyazaki could do with it... ~giggle~
No really, it's a story where they fall it love and it *works*. There's trials and heartache but the happy ending leaves me thinking of butterflies (which are associated with dear Psyche anyway); so light and beautiful and heartlifting.
I've been getting so cynical lately... this is the fresh air I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment