Wednesday, November 11, 2009

First off: let the Onion say what it will of the original Fantasia--I still love it.
Every cartoony second.


And now, back to your arbitrarily scheduled blog post.


Hoo boy--looks like I get to register for classes. (Ah, the joys of being a senior!)
It looks like I'll have a pretty full load too--I need a GIS class, physics, hydrology, and a class on the atmosphere. I wonder if it's possible to skip either hydro or the atmosphere, as they both fall under the same "extra sciences" type category... else that would be 4 classes all with labs, and one of them is physics XP Math and I can get along, but physics confuses me.
I'd like to throw a "fun course" in there just to break things up, like the one on Scandinavian Folklore I found while course-shopping earlier today. Plus I've heard that hydro is a real pain; most of the people in my problem-solving class group are taking it now, and it does sound hard. Not only is the material tough, but it seems like the professor doesn't really take the time to explain things very well, which definitely would be a problem. I'm just not looking forward to all the math either.

At this rate, I might end up taking a class or two next summer and working in the off time... the upside is that I'd hold on to my current job, which pays well and is really just menial tasks anyway. Then it would make sense to take the rest of the year off, work, and prepare for the GRE and grad school.

still don't know what I want to study. Effects of a fire regime on buckthorn regrowth and its potential as a control tool? How some animal affects some aspect of plant growth in Yellowstone? Anything in Yellowstone...

I fell in love with the place as soon as we got into Montana. Sixteen people and their luggage for the week packed into two Jeeps and one SUV, sixteen hours from the Twin Cities to Gardiner, Montana. Best spring break I've ever had. And I'd love to go back if I could--get a job doing anything! Ideally some kind of ecosystem analyst or biologist, but I'd be willing to start as a tour guide if it meant I could do my own research there. Maybe I could get into fungi that can handle those extreme conditions like some bacteria do, or maybe there's yeasts that can do it... thermophilic fungi? (New band name! :D) I know there are a few species that can survive extreme temperatures and dessication just fine... some brown wood-rotting fungi we looked at in my Bioremediation class comes to mind. Maybe I'll go into bioremediation. I just hope something works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment